Comprehensive neuropsychological assessment of cognitive functioning is used to characterize a person's cognitive, or thinking, abilities such as memory, attention, language, problem solving skills, and to assist other providers with diagnosis and treatment planning. Common reasons for a Neuropsychological Assessment include:
- Identify, define, and characterize cognitive strengths and weaknesses and intellectual skills
- Establish a baseline level of cognitive functioning if a person will be undergoing surgery, or to track cognitive changes over time
- Assist with diagnosis and treatment planning including support for issues related to quality of life and daily functioning
- Neuropsychological assessment can be helpful with diagnoses including Alzheimer's disease and other dementia syndromes, brain tumor, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders, brain injury, concussion, stroke, and others.
Neuropsychological evaluation involves a review of the patient's medical history, a detailed clinical interview about a person's history and symptoms, and 2-4 hours of paper-and-pencil tests to assess areas such as memory, attention & concentration, visual and language abilities, problem solving and decision making as well as emotional functioning. After the neuropsychological testing is complete, the clinician will write a report and send it to the referral doctor, and then meet with the patient (and family if desired) to discuss the results and provide recommendations for treatment.
Clinicians at Rocky Mountain Neurobehavioral Associates provide psychotherapy for individuals and families affected by emotional, cognitive, medical, or neurological difficulty. This may include people experiencing memory or attention problems, a neurological or medical diagnoses, or those experiencing depression, anxiety, trauma, or difficulty coping with their condition. Approaches include mindfulness, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and evidenced-based treatment for PTSD and trauma.
We also offer specialized programs for individuals and families experiencing early stage cognitive changes or a new diagnosis of dementia or progressive neurological disorder. Visit these links for more information:
Speech Language Pathology / Cognitive Rehabilitation
We offer speech language pathology services including the evaluation and treatment of cognitive-communication disorders. People who have been affected by a stroke, brain injury, or other neurologic condition (such as Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, or dementia) frequently encounter difficulties with their cognition (thinking) skills, the ability to use and understand language, and ability to speak. Possible symptoms include difficulty with the following:
- paying attention/concentrating
- quickly processing information (how fast a person thinks)
- learning and remembering new information
- organizing thoughts
- making decisions
- completing projects
- finding the right words when speaking
- being concise and clear when speaking
- staying on topic in conversation
- understanding what others are saying
- being able to read and write
- participating in social interactions
- displaying facial expressions and emotions
Case Management and Advance Care Planning
Services include community resource guidance, care coordination, education and support for individuals and families affected by medical diagnoses. Case management services are useful for individuals who wish to have help or support in their daily lives and would like assistance from a provider with arranging these types of services.
Our social worker also provides assistance with making plans for the future, such as completion of advance directives or assigning medical power of attorney. Care planning is also useful for those considering changing residences such as moving to a supportive facility. Families benefit from care planning services when they hope to offer support to an individual who needs assistance.
Healthy Brain Program
We are excited to launch our Healthy Brain Program this Spring! Stayed tuned for more information about joining this program that will help you learn how to keep you brain and mind strong and on the path to healthy aging!
MORE INFO COMING SOON!